Monday, April 21, 2008

Quilts (or should I say wall-hangings)...


Mary was very creative and artsy in her spare time. I think her favourite hobby was quilting although she mostly ended up making a bunch of wall-hangings and not many quilts. This was a big joke amongst family and friends especially with her husband Daryl. He obviously spent a lot of time in fabric stores, waiting in a truck outside fabric stores and seeing a lot of fabric squares around their house all the time. So he would make a fuss everytime he saw another wall-hanging go up on the wall but no quilt to cover him at night. Mary did sometimes make the odd quilt here and there but they were never really big enough to cover a bed... But one year Daryl's dream came true when for Christmas he opened up a beautiful huge quilt that would keep him warm at night. So now she could make as many wall-hangings as she liked. And I'm sure many of us have one of Mary's wall-hangings up in our house. I was lucky enough for Mary to make a beautiful baby quilt for my son Jacob when he was born - it's hanging up in our stairwell right now in memory of Mary. I will cherish that quilt for the rest of my life. Do you have a memory about Mary's wall-hangings or were you lucky enough to get a quilt? Let us know in the comments area.

love brandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.